Dr. Gregory Parkhurst, F.A.C.S.
Dr. Gregory Parkhurst is a board-certified and fellowship-trained ophthalmologist, and the chief surgeon here at Parkhurst NuVision. His drive and passion for eye care have brought him to the upper reaches of his field — he has performed tens of thousands of eye surgeries and been recognized around the globe as a leader in a range of vision correction surgeries.
His teaching, research, and his surgical experience has been widely publicized, and he’s had the honor of being invited to lecture important topics to renowned bodies in the world of eye surgery. Dr. Parkhurst’s career has always been dedicated to advancing the field of ophthalmology, and he looks forward to providing life-changing vision correction for many more patients in the future.
Education & Experiences
Dr. Parkhurst graduated from the Hillsdale College Honors Program before moving onto medical school at Northwestern University. Knowing that where he would continue his training after medical school would be critical to his career trajectory, he joined the US Army, rising to the rank of Major and accepting a residency at the Walter Reed Army Medical Center. This have him the opportunity to perform a high volume of surgical procedures, even as a very young physician.
He went on to complete fellowship training at both the University of Texas and the Slade & Baker Vision Center in Houston, receiving subspecialty training as a corneal specialist and refractive eye surgeon. On the recommendation of colleagues, he opened his now-renowned private practice: Parkhurst NuVision.
- Dr. Parkhurst is board certified by the American Board of Ophthalmology, and is a Fellow of the American College of Surgeons.
- Additionally, a professional point of pride for Dr. Parkhurst is that he is a founder, former president, and board member of the Refractive Surgery Alliance, a global organization consisting of 300 of the world’s top refractive surgeons. Together, they’re dedicated to furthering principles of qualified, ethical physicianship, capital equipment, and post-surgery longevity worldwide.
Honors & Distinctions
- Listed in “Top 40 Under 40” Most Influential Ophthalmologists in the world by The Ophthalmologist
- Listed in “Top Doctors” in San Antonio Magazine
- “Top Ophthalmologist” in San Antonio, according to The Leading Physicians of the World
- Inducted into the Visian Implantable Contact Lens “Master’s Club” for having contributed significantly to the field and performed over 1,000 procedures
- American Academy of Ophthalmology Achievement Award
- Refractive Surgery Alliance President’s Award
- Performed the First Raindrop® Near Vision Inlay in a corneal pocket in the United States
- Performed the First LENSAR® laser cataract procedure in San Antonio/South Texas
Research & Academics
Dr. Parkhurst has also had the honor of presenting knowledge and research to the following organizations:
- US Food & Drug Administration
- American Academy of Ophthalmology
- European Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery
- American-European College of Ophthalmic Surgeons
- Refractive Surgery Alliance
- International Society of Refractive Surgery
- American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery
Dr. Parkhurst has contributed prolifically to a number of outlets, including the following.
Peer-Reviewed Scientific Journals
- Journal of Cataract & Refractive Surgery
- Journal of Refractive Surgery
- Clinical Ophthalmology
- Journal of Occupational & Environmental Medicine
Ophthalmology Industry Publications
- Ocular Surgery News
- Cataract & Refractive Surgery Today
- Ophthalmology Times
- Cataract & Refractive Surgery Today Europe
- Glaucoma Today
- Eye World
Dr. Parkhurst grew up with astigmatism and poor vision himself, which inspired him to begin a career in ophthalmology. In 2003, he made the life-changing decision to become a LASIK patient, and has since performed vision correction surgery on members of his family. This experience has helped him to truly empathize with the concerns his patients have prior to surgery.
Dr. Parkhurst has always emphasized service in his career; he has not only served the United States in the military and operating on service members, but has also gone on mission trips to places such as Mexico to perform free cataract surgery!
Dr. Gregory Parkhurst has either authored or reviewed and approved this content.