Brett H. Mueller II, D.O., Ph.D. is a Board Certified, fellowship-trained refractive and cataract surgeon. He is a 6th generation Texan and a 4th generation native of San Antonio. After receiving his undergraduate degree from Texas A&M University, he then received his medical degree and Ph.D. from the University of North Texas Health Science Center, where he developed his passion for ophthalmology as he worked to develop new treatment modalities for patients with glaucoma.
In conducting neuroscience and pharmacology research of the eye in hopes of discovering a neuroprotective agent to treat glaucoma, he was drawn to the complexity and beauty of the visual sciences. Dr. Mueller’s scientific work and academic accomplishments enabled him to author numerous publications and book chapters, perform over 20 presentations at national and international meetings, and is a recipient of several grants (including an NIH grant). He was then accepted to attend an ophthalmology residency at the University of Louisville, where he developed a reputation for being a leader amongst his colleagues and a skilled surgeon.
Experience and Honors
- Author of multiple peer-reviewed studies
- Sub-Investigator for multiple clinical trials
- Performed the most phaco cataract surgeries in the history of the U of L residency program, which included placing numerous toric and multifocal lenses, performing laser-assisted cataract surgery, and dropless cataract surgery
- As a resident, one of the first surgeons in the state of Kentucky to place several different Micro-Invasive Glaucoma Surgery (MIGS) devices
- Helped establish one of the first academic affiliations with Johnson & Johnson, enabling residents to be PRK- and LASIK-certified upon completion of their residency programs
- Adjunct Assistant Professor at the University of North Texas Health Science Center – Department of Pharmacology and Neuroscience
- Vice President of Clinic Research and Clinical Advisory Board for Vital Streams, LLC
- Consultant for Nanoscope Technologies
- Member – Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology
- Member – American Academy of Ophthalmology
- Surgical Mission Trip – Performed cataract surgeries in Guerrero, Mexico
- Refugee Vision Screenings – Performed vision screenings for 500 refugees in Louisville
- Preliminary Internal Medicine Steering Committee
After time in private practice in Dallas, TX, performing cataract surgery and surgically treating glaucoma patients by implanting MIGS, Dr. Mueller focused his practice by receiving additional fellowship training in Cataract & Refractive Surgery.
Dr. Mueller is excited to be home in San Antonio, serving Parkhurst NuVision patients as a Board Certified, fellowship-trained refractive, cataract and anterior segment surgeon. He plans to continue to use his research background and develop new innovative treatment modalities for patients with cataracts, glaucoma, and patients needing refractive surgery. In his spare time, he loves spending time with his wife and 3 kids, enjoying an active lifestyle that includes running, cycling and hiking.
Dr. Gregory Parkhurst has either authored or reviewed and approved this content.